- 3 large eggplants
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomotoes
- Feta cheese. (I used reduced fat feta)
- FOR DRIZZLE:
- 2 tbsp olive oil+ 2 tbsp red wine vinegar+ 1 tbsp oregano Whisked)
Hey ya’ll!! Happy Thursday!
Things are finally slowing down and back to normal since getting back from Italy. No more jet lag, and I’m back in the kitchen to whip up some favorites to share with you!
This post is special to me. Why??? Well… let’s just say that eggplant was NEVER a top veggie of mine. I was young and dumb with the palate of a 12 year old. LOL. Proud to say, that I’ve found my inner veggie monster and now, can’t imagine not having eggplant as a staple at Ranch Relaxo. (Mi casa)
The great thing about this dildo shaped veggie, is that it’s soooo versatile. You can grill it, bake it, roast it, fry it, baba ghanoush it, bread it…well, steamed…Hmmm. NOT SO MUCH;/
Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite ways to eat it. Freakin’ ROASTEDDDD!!! Before we get into it… i want to share some of the benefits of the Purp.
I used the big ones for this, but you are MORE than welcome to use the smaller Japanese eggplants. Most would argue that they are more flavorful. Maybe right, but I get more meatiness out of these. It’s great as a side dish or as a main for your vegetarian homies.
The recipe is above but let’s go through the instructions.
- Rinse and pat dry eggplants.
- Cut lengthwise.
- With a sharp knife, score the flesh deeply in diamond shapes.
- Lay them down, open up cuts, and sprinkle with sea salt
- Let sit, cut side up for 30 min to release excess water.
- Pre-Heat oven to 400*
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wipe and lightly squeeze eggplants free of moisture and salt.
- Brush cut side with olive oil (about 3/4 tsp each), sprinkle with garlic and thyme.
- Place cut & seasoned side down onto lined baking sheet and roast at 400* for 45 min to 1 hr.
- Once taken out, let cool for 30 min before handling. Use a spatula to carefully remove from paper.
- Flip onto a plate. The eggplants will be a beautiful golden , caramel color and flattened out.
- Top with chopped cherry tomatoes, feta cheese (I use reduced fat),
- In a small mixing bowl, which together 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, And 1 tbsp oregano.
- Pour over the served eggplants with tomatoes and feta.