Yeay!!!! HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!
And what a great week so far! The parties are over folks, and I’m finally starting to feel normal again. Lol. New Year’s Eve was a blast! Here’s a shot of me with all black everythannnggg in my “do not judge me” messy ass bedroom. Check out my BLACK CHAMPAGNE FLUTES. want some of you’re own? TARGET $33.99 for 6 flutes!
Well, get ready for the best part of this story.
While waiting for out “tipsy Tow”, your homies passed out in the car missing 3 AAA phone calls! We woke up at 5:30 A.m. Like, “wtf!”
I guess we’re sober now!!!!! Hahahha. We drove home and passed out again.
God……you really gotta love New Years!
Popped a few Ibuprofen to kick my champagne hangover, and we headed to beach! Woohoo;) it was sunny and beautiful out, so we weren’t missing it!
PARADISE COVE CAFE, MALIBU, here we come! 75 * and sunny….YES PLEASE!
Malibu is one of my favorite places to spend the day. If it wasn’t so far from my work, I would live here in a heart beat. This place is pretty awesome. Great for brunch, lunch, or dinner. The beach is kept super clean, and the best part…..you can drink on the beach here! (I sound like such an alcoholic, geeeeez) I’m saying this more cuz it’s the only was to kill the hangover. More champagne. Oh god. Lol.
The food is ridiculous!!!!!! RIDICULOUS GOOOOOOOD!
So much for starting my healthy diet on the first of the year!
Steamed mussels in a cream/wine sauce, With creamed spinach and fries.
“Po boy” sandwich and coleslaw
Anddddddddd shrimp cocktail.
HAPPY…..(even with that wrinkle mid forehead.) nice.
After such an awesome and, to say the very least, GLUTTONOUS, we decided to take a walk along the water. It’s was so pretty out, and these fat kids needed to digest all those yummies. My girlfriend Mayra gave me these really cool PHOTOJOJO lenses for Christmas, I was dying to try them.
Staying on the subject of water, beach, drinking and hydration…. I want to introduce to you a really cool product. I’m not just bringing this up cuz it may or may not have cured my hangover, but also because it’s delicious! Cocozia contacted me about trying them out and I was happy to. This company, Epicurex, prides itself in only distributing all natural, and organic products. This water comes for the green coconut, and is full of essential electrolytes. Electrolytes are directly involved with body hydration and muscle function. Maybe that’s why I found that drinking this before and during a workout was pretty amazing. Apart from my love of wine, I really only drink water, an occasional Kevita, and coconut water. I usually stay away from beverages that contain very much (if any) sugar, so the “all coconut, no added sugars”, appealed to me. I get that everyone has their own fave, but I really loved this. Especially super- duper cold!
The best part….is that they’ve got some really interesting new flavors.
Chocolate ( ummm absolutely)
Onto some fitness news!
I am battling some feet injuries and sadly not able to do my usual Zumba workouts. Wompppppp wommmmp. The new year is definitely testing me. So far, workouts have been sparse. I’ve realized that, in order to heal, I’ve got to REST. And frankly, I can’t go hard like I used to. Sad really, but I’ve got to emprovise. I recently received an email from a freelance writer named Becky Flanigan regarding doing a guest post on From Fries To Fit about some fun ways to stay fit…IN THE WATER!
I am an absolute water baby! Oh, and I’m an Aquarius…I mean.
Check me out…… Yep, that’s me. Arms crossed, pissed for something super dumb, I’m sure. I grew up in a pool. My mother and grandfather were swim coaches, and I took after them. Practically a swimmer all my life.
This post and write-up couldn’t have come at a better time. With all this discomfort and pain I’ve been having, this is a perfect alternate that allows me to workout pain-FREE! Now, I just need a pool. Lol.;)
5 Great Aqua Aerobics Exercises To Stay Fit
I love to run, and try to do a weight workout as an alternative about once a week. As a busy Mom, it’s tough to fit in all my workouts, and especially to add in some cross-training. My favorite choice for some alternate exercises is aqua aerobics. I get the cardio of running and core benefit of ab work, and I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much weight work I can get from water exercise. Here are 5 of my favorite aqua aerobics exercises:
1) Pool plank. For me, it’s all about keeping my core strong, and the plank, on land or water, works the core very efficiently. In the water, I stand on the pool floor, and take a noodle (a long solid rubber tube, great for pool exercise), and hold it horizontally in both hands, about shoulder width apart. Holding my arms straight out, I press down into the water, letting the noodle curl up around my arms on either side, then lean forward with my head out of the water. I watch the clock on the wall, and try to hold this position for 2 minutes. It gives me a great burn, and I know my abs are getting a great workout.
2) Become Spiderman. This is a great cardio exercise, and a lot of fun, too. I stand near the side of the pool, and sweep my hands back and forth like I’m treading water. I run my legs up the side of the pool, and then back down. I alternate my leading leg each time I climb, and do 4 sets of climbs. By that time, I’m breathing pretty hard, but if I have more energy left, I just add another set.
3) Cardio core ball running. Once I’ve gotten my heart rate up with the Spiderman, core ball running keeps it up and gives me more cardio workout. This exercise provides cardio plus core strength training, in one great combination. I take a 6 inch inflated ball and hold it in front of my navel. Then I run back and forth across the pool as fast as I can for 1 minute. I rest for 30 seconds, then do 3 more repetitions. I try to increase my speed each time, and by the end, I’m really breathing hard, which is just what I wanted.
4) One legged balance. To let me catch my breath, I do an exercise for balance and strength. I stand in waist deep water, and keeping my knee straight, lift one leg up, and put the noodle under my ankle. I keep my hands by my sides, and try to balance for one minute. I switch legs and do the other leg. If the kids are around, I have them jog in circles around me to create a current, which forces my core to work harder to keep my balance. The kids love it when they’re called on for this duty – they try to make me to step off the noodle, laughing the whole time. The beauty of this exercise in the water is that while balancing, I don’t risk the embarrassing fall I had one time when I tried this on land.
5) Fly backs. Now it’s time to throw in a weight element, and fly backs are great to work out my upper chest, back and arms – it also helps with my posture. I start in a lunge position, with my right knee bent, and my left leg extended behind me. I push my arms straight out in front of me about chest high. I spread my arms out to the sides, palms parallel to the water in a swimming motion, and boy, can you feel the resistance water gives in this one. I return my arms to the starting position, switching my hands to palms forward, and that is one rep. I do 4 sets of 8 to 15 reps, and switch the forward leg on each set. When I’m finished, I can really feel the effect on my upper body.
Those are some of my favorites aqua aerobic exercises, but there are plenty of other choices. Whether I’m looking for cardio work, or specific resistance exercises to parallel weight workouts, aqua aerobics can give me a wonderful exercise routine.
Becky Flanigan enjoyed creative writing classes in school, and uses those skills when writing freelance articles for InTheSwim.com. Becky likes spending time with her husband, 3 kids, and 2 golden retrievers. She spends many fun filled hours at the family swimming pool, watching the kids and dogs splash and play. She is also an avid gardener – and even helps friends landscape and decorate their yards.
In other news…..I will be making some changes to the site coming soon;)