Hi babes! It’s been a super packed week! I feel like I’ve been nonstop! Today…I’ve got a really special recipe for you. Well, a couple of recipes on todays post,but this first one, I shit you not, will blow your mind.
Get ready for the BEST tasting, and the most HEALTHIEST chocolate muffin that you will devour ever in your FIT life!
With 12 grams of protein and only 9 net carbs, you have found your new “BREAKFAST BESTIE”
You’ll never have to break up with chocolate again if you keep these guilt free muffins around;)
I found this recipe originally from fellow healthy blogger fitandhealthywithdebbie.blogspot.com but tweaked a few things to my own liking. Check her version too…you may end up liking it better. I’ve also recalculated the nutrition facts to my version
If you’ve ever played around with baking with protein powders or even most flour alternatives, then you know the dilemma….dry or rubbery. Ugh, it’s happened to all of us. Usually, the reason being, not enough moisture/liquid in recipe, over cooking, and not mixing well enough. Soooo touchy these healthy recipes! Geez:/.
With these perfect little morsels…I think I had an “Aha- moment”. They were DELIGHTFUL, cakey, soft, moist, amazing flavor…ALL OF THE ABOVE!
- 1 cup oats made into a flour. ( i just threw mine in the food processor)
- 4 tbsp Flaxseed meal (ground Flax)
- 2 tbsp Coconut flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 scoop or packet About time “chocolate” protein powder
- ½ tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup 0% greek yogurt OR Fromage Blanc ( I love Vermont Creamery, less sugar and carbs than greek yogurt and tastes the same…Whole Foods)
- 3 tbsp sugar free honey (natures hollow)
- dark chocolate chips or carob chips. The darker, the better:)
- Grease a 6 muffin tin. I used coconut oil spray.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all dry ingredients, once mixed well, add all wet ingredients one at a time, while continuing to stir and mix.
- A hand mixer would also work great at this point. OR, honestly, you could just blend everything except the choco chips in a vitamix or food processor.
- Using a spoon, evenly dollop batter into muffin cups
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over each one
- Place in oven and bake for about 12-14 mins. I will always check mine a bit early cuz I go crazy if I burn my muffins!
I’ve always preferred a European style breakfast…you know, coffee & a pastry. Although sometimes opting for a healthy egg white omelette or turkey sausage out of “this is what I should be eating, Once I realized that I could sneak in all the nutrients and protein I needed into a muffin, without devouring a 500 cal pastry from coffee bean, my mornings turned into my favorite meals of the day!
So this is how I started off my WHAT I ATE WEDNESDAY.
I’m still not used to being off on Wednesdays from the salon, so I wake up frantic, then realize I get to sleep in, then I start baking, duh… Oh and then, I start dancing in my living room;) a bit of ZUMBA at 8:00 a.m is always a good time!
I taught ZUMBA at 10:30, and my Amigas rocked the house!
They work me out as much as I work them out, so I make sure to replenish my body and feed my muscles right after class with protein shakes.
I’ve found my new Fave!
Here’s your next recipe…. A bit of homework for y’all….
YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS ASAP!
There are a few optional items in this recipe, in which you can omit…but I recommend them, so up to you;) one of them being bee pollen… BEE POLLEN is recommended by herbalists to enhance athletic performance, relieve allergies, and help with stomach issues.
Another optional ingredient…IRISH MOSS. Which is used as a natural thickener and comes with loads of nutritional benefits that you can read up on here.
One ingredient you clearly do not want to skip out on, is the PROTEIN. In this case, I used about time vanilla whey. 25 grams of protein per scoop, and all natural!
Fresh fruit is always a plus. This was a treat for me! A full mango (well, a small one) it was ripe, and soooo ready! Also in this recipe, 1/4 banana…for that yummy flavor and smooth texture that gives this recipe a “shake” vibe.
I also like to add a spoonful of flax meal. Flax offers an enormous amount of healthy omega fatty acids. I make sure to keep my flax meal in the fridge or freezer to prevent spoilage.
Omega fatty acids are essential in a healthy diet.
Studies show that consuming fresh flax meal, or flax oil can help to reduce the chance of heart disease, lowers bad cholesterol and blood pressure. When you get the chance….add it to everything you can think of;) lol.
- 1 mango cut up
- ¼ frozen banana
- 1 packet or scoop Vanilla About Time Whey Protein
- 1 tsp bee pollen (optional)
- 1½ tbsp Irish moss (soaked and blended) optional.
- ½ cup Unsweetened Vanilla SILK 30 cal almond milk
- ½ cup water
- 3-4 ice cubes
- ½ tsp vanilla (I used vanilla bean powder but you could use regular ol’ extract)
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp EITHER low fat cottage cheese, 0% greek yogurt, OR fromage blanc
- OPTIONAL- sprinkle with chia seeds and unsweetened shredded coconut
- easy peazy… throw it all in a blender or vitamix and call it a day.
Lunch was super clean and completely predictable… Roasted chicken breast, brocollini, and roasted peppers with hard boiled egg whites. Boring, but nutritious and quite yummy. I managed NOT to dry out the breast. Story of my life.
The most exciting part of “WHAT I ATE WEDNESDAY……..
This ridiculous seed and nut butter! NUTTZO.
I have been hearing and reading about this amazing nut butter for a long time, so I made the plunge. $12.99 well freakin spent. So worth it. The taste is UNBELIEVABLE! I was so anxious to try it, that I popped open the jar right as I got in the car at the Whole Foods parking lot. Don’t judge me….. NUTTZO if you’re reading this…SEND ME MOREEEEE!!
So as you now know, I am the newest member of SCFITNESS and feel totally honored and happy:) this weekend was our first photoshoot for the new website. Here are just a couple shots of my awkward self. Prob not the one that’s gonna go up, but just sharing:) I can’t wait till these damn bangs grow out. They were in my face the whole freakin day. Ugh.
Apparently I was soooo feeling turquoise. Homegirl is lovin Er’ blue.
In other ZUMBA news….. A super exciting time for not only us as intructors but also for students and fellow ZUMBA lovers. ZUMBA Fitness now has a fantastic app for iPhone where you can find your favorite class or instructor and CHECK IN! let everyone know that you are up, and dancing, and maybe inspire others to do the same! Not only can you check in, but NOW, ZUMBA home office will will make a donation to a campaign aimed towards ending world hunger every time you check in!
The idea is called ” THE GREAT CALORIE DRIVE”
For every calorie burned in class, ZUMBA will donate money so that others can eat! Pretty amazing, and so excited that I get to be a part of this. So, remember to always check in, and log in your calories burned. I always wear my ft60 polar heart rate monitor, and never burn less than 600 calories!
The day of the shoot, I had taken J. FIT’s bodysculpting class, which left my legs and body feeling wobbly, she kills me,so I was stoked to get home and spend some much needed mommy time with Wilbur! Aww, my boooooooo;)
At the end of the day, after Running around all day…this is what I really wanted. Home sweet home!