Alright, so my obsession with cauliflower has grown to new heights. Although, cauliflower crusts and rice are nothing new to any of us….it doesn’t mean we can’t re-invent them over and over;) Lol. I just can’t get enough! This is my idea of CARB-o-LOADING. Faux “Rice”&
” Pizza”, yes pleaaaazeeeee:)
Lets start with fried rice in the skillet. By the way, notice the printable version of the recipe below:) hope that helps. I know it can be annoying to search though posts, and bring your laptop into the kitchen to be able to see a recipe;)
CAULIFLOWER “FRIED RICE”
I got alllllll Asian on it, with my “non-disposable” chopsticks:) whaaaaaaaaa. You would not believe how similar to real rice this shizzle is. This recipe is so damn easy, I whipped it up before work, and viola! The best part, is that you can add any veggies you want in it.
In this recipe, I kept it really simple. Leeks, edamame, garlic, egg, & soy sauce. This can be paired with your choice of protein. Personally, I’d be stoked to pair it with jumbo garlic shrimp, or even grilled scallops. Ooooommmmgggggg. Doesn’t that sound stupid good right now!? But, you could also enjoy all by it’s lonesome as your main dish, you vegetarian, you;)
If you didn’t love cauliflower then, your gonna have to now! I’m gonna tell ya what yo’ mama never told ya!
CAULIFLOWER is a great source of Vitamin C and manganese which are both powerful antioxidants. It also contains high amounts of vitamin k, and omega 3 fatty acids which decrease inflammation. Also a fantastic source of b vitamins and fiber.
- ½ head large cauliflower or 1 small head
- ½ cup edamame (i used the frozen bag from Trader Joe’s)
- ½ cup chopped leeks
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion (for garnish)
- (optional: chopped carrots, peas, onions)
- Using a food processor/ vitamix/ or simply a grater…pulse or grate raw cauliflower to “rice” consistency. Should equal to approx. 2 cups.
- Add coconut oil to hot skillet, and on medium head, add edamame, leeks, salt & pepper and any other veggies you wish to add. Sautee for 5-10 mix while stirring to ensure NO BURNING.
- Now add cauliflower, garlic, soy sauce, and sautee for another 5 minutes.
- Lastly, add an egg, and scramble it in. Continuously stirring. Cook a few more minutes. Until “fried rice” consistency.
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with green onions, and toasted sesame seeds.
SWEET ONION & PEPPER ITALIAN PIZZA ON CAULIFLOWER CRUST
Say what you want….Yes, played out I’m sure comes to mind when you hear of “cauliflower crust pizza”, but you know what….WHATEVER!
I am a pizza lover, and unfortunately I can’t be having MOZZA Pizzeria every night, so this is my alternative. Obviously, you could also make it other ways. (I.E. with almond meal, flax meal, coconut flour) All of those options are GREAT for low card eaters, but if ya ask me, the cauliflower version couldn’t get any healthier. With the most nutritional value out of all the other options, you need feel absolutely NO guilt.
The assembly of the crust couldn’t be easier.
Use your food processor, vitamix or grater to pulse or grate cauliflower. U will need about a cup of it.
Steam or cook in skillet till softened, then throw in a bowl.
Add LIGHTshredded mozzarella or Swiss. 1 cup. Yes…throw it in the bowl.
While your there…go ahead, throw in 2 egg whites, your garlic, oregano, and salt & pepper. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix well in the bowl.
Grease your pizza pan, or baking sheet, and mold your crust.
Make sure that it’s not too thin or too thick.
Cook for 20-22 minutes. We are looking for browning here, K.
Ok, so… You can use regular pizza sauce, but be mindful that it can make the crust quite soggy, so I prefer a bit of slightly watered down tomato paste.
Ok, maybe I should have mentioned this a few pics ago butttttttt…….. While the crust is cooking, you could sautée your onions and peppers. You know, to save time n’ all;) grease your skillet with a bit of olive or coconut oil. ( 1 tsp) keep the heat at medium. High heat will most likely burn your veggies before they even cook. Oh and I used sweet yellow & orange peppers, they’re my absolute! I made this Italian style, by adding oregano, garlic, and Italian seasonings to the skillet as well.
Once caramelized ( about 15 min) pour over crust. Top with ripped pieces of mozzarella ( light of course) and throw back in the over to melt the cheese. About 5 more minutes, or stick in the broiler for a min just to brown.
- 1 cup pulsed cooked cauliflower
- 1 cup grated LITE mozzarella cheese
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- ½ tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1½ tbsp tomato paste mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 4-5 small orange & yellow peppers. Sliced very thin.
- ½ tsp garlic
- 1 tsp italian seasonings
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil.
- Lite mozzarella or Lite swiss on top
- (optional: Top with red pepper flakes)
- Pulse ½ head of cauliflower. Should equal to 1 cup pulsed cauli. I used my vitamix, but you could use a food processor or grater. I prefer it VERY small grain.
- cook till softened. Either steam in in microwave or over the stovetop.
- Once cooked, add it to a bowl, and add egg whites, mozzarella, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a small pizza stone, baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Mold your mixture onto the pan, making sure it is evenly distributed and not too thick, but not too thin.
- Cook at 400 for 20 min.
- Remove and let sit while making toppings.
- In a small ramekin, mix tomato paste with water and spread over crust.
- Add 1 tsp oil to a hot skillet ( low-med heat) and add thinly sliced onions, peppers, garlic, seasonings, salt & pepper and sautee till caramelized. About 10-15 minutes.
- Keep stirring and being careful not to burn.
- This step, of sauteeing, can be done while crust is baking.
- Once done and caramelized, add to pizza crust.
- Top with ripped bits of Lite Mozzarella or Lite Swiss and stick back in the oven for 5 min. Or broiler for 1 minute (just to brown and melt)
STILL CAULIFLOWER OBSESSED?
Try my FAUX MASHED POTATOES